Thread: 686 3" or 4"
View Single Post

Old 01-23-2012, 06:55 AM

Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauff1 View Post
The 3 inch is a joy to shoot. Weight and balance are great in my opinion. Installing grips to your needs and liking will only improve the feel.

Be advised that finding holsters for barrel lengths other than 4 and 6 inch is a little more difficult. I own 3", 5", a d 7" revolvers. Most off the shelf holsters will have an extra inch of material, and custom holsters could have a little longer wait time.

Dauff
My sentiments exactly! Well worth the wait on a custom from Lobo holsters IMO. Have a few 3" S&W's and all of them are extremely accurate for a semi snub. My old 66-2 will out shoot my pre lock 686 and is the most accurate of the bunch. I will say the most accurate centerfire I own is a 4" 586 in nickel. I can ring a 12x12 plate sandbagged at 100 yards with no problem on a regular basis if I'm having a good day and stayed away from the coffee. The 3''rs just feel so darn well balanced in my hand. Think that alone adds to their accuracy. Could be a mental thing but the targets don't lie. You really can't go wrong with either except if you plan on using it for hunting as you can wring a little extra velocity out of the 4". Also many states do not allow 3" revolvers.

After reading all of the posts like I should have the first time I'd go for a pre lock 4" 586 or 686. They can be had for less money than a new 3 or 4" revolver and are extremely accurate. The 3" revolvers are more expensive and for what you'd be using it for you would have the perfect barrel length. JMO

Last edited by Sportsterguy; 01-23-2012 at 07:08 AM.