View Single Post

Old 01-25-2012, 11:53 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 241 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goony View Post
I'm not in complete agreement on these points.

1. I would emphasize that the rearward slide serrations turn up well into marked Model 39 production (at least 6K units in, maybe more).

2. As I noted in my most recent previous post in this thread, as regards these curved cutouts, there are variances.

3. I have a very early pre-39, and it does have the "Pat's Pending" marking.

4. The hole in the hammer persisted for a least a few tens of thousands of units into Model 39-2 production.

The point is that there are few absolutes in the details of these, only general trends....
I have to agree with Goony. I have a 39 no dash with the rearward slide serrations in the 61XXX sn range. From my research, I have only seen a couple of 39 no dashes with the rearward slide serrations with sn's higher than mine. Also the hole in the hammer carried over on the 39-2 until around A200000 with their appearance diminishing towards the end. Then you get a few random 39 no dash pistols in the A prefix serial numbers.

I guess the point is that with any classic S&W there are no difinitive breaks in sn's for certain features. Remember S&W was and is in business to make money not collectables. These parts were mass produced and grabbed out of parts bins. Then the guns were stacked in a storage vault and shipped at random. This is just part of why collecting and researching S&Ws is so interesting.