View Single Post

Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,292 Times in 1,688 Posts

I tried the a reduced power mainspring, it happened to have the rib, and I found that the strain screw went into the middle of the rib and made it reduced the strength too much. It kind of turned the spring and wore the strain screw. I took it out. I tried one with a bent tip where it hooks the hammer. I didn't like that one either. I went back to the old fashioned method of clipping two coils off the trigger rebound spring and slightly kinking the mainspring to balance the springs. It works well for me and does not wear out. This is for target guns and range guns. For most of my guns, I just leave the springs as they came from the factory. Most will smooth out and lighten themselves with use. One serious thing I noticed is if there is hand/ratchet interface bind, it is sometimes covered up with strong springs. It really shows up after light springs are installed. To me, since I shoot mostly double action, this is worse than the stronger factory trigger pull. I found out a long time ago when shooting PPC, that a smooth trigger pull is better than a light pull that has a hitch in it.