View Single Post

Old 01-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I bought a new 686+-6 back around 2004 or so ... I promptly installed a Wolff reduced-power kit and a Cylinder & Slide extended firing pin for insurance. I have not had a single light primer strike/FTF with that gun.[NOTE: the C&S firing pin doesn't help with positive ignition because it's longer, but because it has a cone-shaped tip. This provides for a deeper dent with a lighter hammer blow. The stock pin has a hemispherical tip, which requires a heavier hammer blow.] And yes, it is a home defense gun.

If I had it to do over, I would probably have chosen another company's spring kit. The Wolff hammer spring has a rib in it in which the strain screw doesn't fit very well. It will also relax over time and need to be replaced.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Andy
Andy, this is excellent advice - especially the part about the extended firing pin. I will most certainly have to try this out in addition to the spring kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
To me, since I shoot mostly double action, this is worse than the stronger factory trigger pull. I found out a long time ago when shooting PPC, that a smooth trigger pull is better than a light pull that has a hitch in it.
I too try and shoot DA since this is how I imagine I would find myself firing in a real life SD situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-g View Post
I dont know about jerrys video but AIG's video is pretty good. Also, on both my PC guns they came from the factory with upgraded Wolf springs.
Was this the power-rib mainspring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-g View Post
FYI: If you arent mechanically inclined and haven't ever sharpened a knife by hand or filed anything, doing gunsmithing work on your revolvers might not be for you.
I actually have been having a blast learning to disassemble and reassembly the internals. I have already cleaned and oiled everything internal on both my 686-6 and 29-2 and I am yearning for more to tinker with.

You all have offered exceptional advice and personal experience. I think I will get the Wilson kit to avoid the power-rib issues you have outlined, and go with the extended firing pin to minimize any issues I may have with FTF. I also have Jerry Miculek's video on order from MidwayUSA. Thanks gents!