View Single Post

Old 01-26-2012, 06:20 PM

Liked 2,358 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357larry View Post
Jhawk412 gave a good rundown of the way it is in Kansas. I'm curious about the fees charged in other states. A CCW class in Kansas can cost anywhere from $35 to $185 depending on who you use. Both the wife and I attended classes offered through the Parks and Rec Deptartment in Topeka, cost was $35 each and included donuts in the morning and pizza for lunch.

Once you have successfully completed the class you take your paperwork to your county Sheriff's office. You have to write a $100 check to the state and a $50 check to the sheriff. These fees are non-refundable, get turned down for the permit and you are just out the money. Then wait for approval from the state. May take 90 days.

Once you are approved you have to take the state issued paperwork to a drivers license examining station. Only certain stations will process CCW permits. I had to drive 30 miles one way to get to one. Pay them $16, they take your picture and issue a temporary thermal print permit. Sometime in the next 2 weeks you should get your regular permit in the mail.

Long process but worth it. I was just wondering if the process is that much different in other states.
Ha Ha Ha!!! You were wondering if it was different in other states???

Well some states you don't need a permit at all.
Some states you pay the local law $10 and he hands you a permit.
Some states you send in your documents and $50 and wait a month.
Some states you take a lot of training, fill out a mountain of paperwork, turn in paperwork at one office, then get more paperwork and turn that in at the sheriff's office, wait for him to send you more paperwork, take that paperwork to another office and wait for that office to approve you, then receive back all paperwork and turn it in to the state and wait a few months to see if it goes through.

So yep, there's some major differences out there. But I see the House passed the national reciprocity bill. Let's hope that thing gets into the senate and then BO signs it into law. That will make life a lot easier for all of us!!!!