View Single Post

Old 01-26-2012, 07:47 PM

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_conway View Post
TFO stands for Tritium Fiber Optic.
It has both Tritium for night use, and fiber optic for daylight / lowlight situation. Best of all worlds as far as I am concerned.

As to color...
Everyone has different needs and preferances.
As others have stated, GREEN is the brightest and the human eye picks it up best. That said, I use GREEN on the front and YELLOW on the rear. The yellows are just SLIGHTLY dimmer than the green but provide an obviuos differance that allows me a very quick way to pick up and center the front sight in dark / low light situations. Just my personal preferance.
Everyone's different and if possible, try and get a look at multiple setups, although I know it's hard to find several different combos at most gun shops.

That said, I have all green TruGlo TFOs front and rear and also a gun with green TruGlo TFO's up front & yellow ones in the rear and I very much prefer all green. The yellow seem washed out in comparison to the green. I just find it a lot easier to make sure I have my three bright green dots in a row and go 'bang' than I can acquire a visual 'bead' with green and yellow dots together before shooting.

It takes my eyes (really the eyes & brain) just a little longer to pick up the yellow and sort out the contrast difference between the yellow and green and then line them up. I work in the field of visual impairments and deal with different color vision scenarios and contrast issues everyday. The difference in contrast between TruGlo's green and yellow isn't that great to me.

What a lot of guys here have said about age being a factor is very true--I think all green's best for most folks, but once you're over age 50 or so, it often becomes much more noticable. I have two very independent minded teenagers and they both prefer all green TFO's.

The Trijicons I also have, with a reddish--orange dot with a green dot in it's center up front and then a square, black cutout rear sight, (Like Glock, but all black) with a green dot you can really only see at night imbedded in the bottom of it's square rear, works quite well too. During the day, your sighting the front's bright redish orange dot up front, against the rear black cutout (very high contrast there) and at night, the two green dots are visible and you place one on top of the other and shoot. Very, very similar to what Mudcat has pictured above--I like that set up.

It's not like the TFO's green is bright to the point of distraction or that they're bright enough to 'give away' your position in a likely critical defense situation--although my tactical light and lasers (when used) could do that. The way I see it, the person/s on the 'wrong end of business' in a critical defense situation aren't going to be able to even tell if I'm using TFO's in a dark environment, but I'll sure be able to tell!

Last edited by Rangel; 01-26-2012 at 07:51 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: