View Single Post

Old 01-26-2012, 10:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default If I could only have One gun...

Got to thinking the other day about something Skeeter Skelton wrote years ago. (If you don't know who Skeeter is, you need to read more). In one of his stories, he asked his good friend Dobe Grant, retired lawman and cowman (if you don't know who Dobe Grant is...see above...) what ONE gun he would keep, if he could keep only one. Never mind the reason, its not important. I know, none of us want to think that this could ever happen to us, but I kinda enjoyed the cogitatin' that this required. This is MY One gun for all of MY needs and percieved needs. Actually, it was easy, as this gun already lives here. My 4 inch Combat Magnum. The .357 chambering is obviously extremely versatile, especially with handloading. It can and already has been used for hunting, especially with handloads. Small game, using lighter, semi-wadcutters. Big game (deer, bear in my neck of the woods)
can be taken with heavy soft-points or "Keith" bullets. Daily, general use with mid-range loads (any bullet). Defense against 2-legged varmints, any of the wonderful 125 grain factory loads or equivalent handloads. The 4 inch barrel, with attendant sight radius is enough for long-range work, yet short enough for daily carry IWB. Mine happens to be "factory stock" except for a flat-faced patridge front sight, which is easy for my eyes to pick up. The Combat Magnum is light enough for daily carry, which mine is really familiar with, and steady enough for precision shooting. Anyway, I don't expect everyone to agree, but again, this is MY choice, after some fun cogitatin'. Anyone else ?