View Single Post

Old 01-27-2012, 01:38 AM

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

There's some good info in this thread.

1) Get the Miculek video, it's the best $30 I've ever spent on anything gun related except for loading manuals.

2) Wolff of Wilson are good. I prefer the Wilson.

3) Install the lightest rebound when reassembling. Set your mainspring tension first. I grind the screw down to the length that gives reliable ignition every time and bottom it out in the frame. Once you have that done check the trigger return (do this with the side plate on). This where the "balance" comes in. Good positive trigger return may require one of the heavier springs. Once you have this and it's all back together remove the strain screw and reinstall torquing it down with about 10 in/lb using blue loc-tite.

4) The C&S pins are good but you can't dryfire practice without snapcaps. Get the Apex, it's made out of hardened tool steel. Actually the factory pins are fine but if you want an extended the Apex is the way to go.

Notes:
When setting your mainspring tension fire some rounds. Not just 10 or so, run about 100 through it. Also add about 1/4 turn of tension for insurance and while firing make sure it's not moving, because it will! If it's moving you don't know where you are. I set the screwdriver slot either up & down or straight across and always adjust in 1/4 turn increments for this very reason.

The Miculek video is a great home trigger job, but there are other things to do to get a great custom action, but you can make a huge improvement just by following this video.

Use a blue steel strain screw. The stainless ones are super soft and deform badly.

Last edited by shadowrider; 01-27-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Added notes