View Single Post

Old 01-27-2012, 06:07 PM
US Veteran

Liked 35 Times in 22 Posts
Default Model 37 "Airweight" Chief's Special

I obtained one today while at a LGS to pick up a 2" 15-4 that I had on hold.

This old WWII vet was in the store attempting to sell this little revolver to the owner. I overheard the owner say to him "$100". Then the owner, knowing I am a S&W revolver fan, turns to me to ask if I was interested. I said possibly, then looked at the gun -- in about 94% condition; stocks a little scuffed and some bluing missing from the muzzel, but locks up tight and mechanically very sound. I gave him $200 outside the shop. Got a box of old ammo with it plus the original sales slip from its original owner; a deceased friend of his. A dentist in NYC paid $93.76 in 1972.

We talked some and I find out this old guy was a Navy Pilot shot down in the Pacific near Tinian July 1945 - 14 months after I came into this world. He was rescued at sea by the USS Buchanan (DD-???). We're planning on having a beer real soon. I like talking to these old vets. The guy who lives across the street flew ME109s during the war. He has some interesting stories.

Was $200 a fair deal or is all the beer on me? What ammo restrictions apply to this little lightweight? I imagine just plain old .38 - no plus stuff.