View Single Post

Old 01-30-2012, 06:54 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

My vote is for the 686+. I have a 686+-6 in 4" and am absolutely in love with that gun. I personally prefer the full underlug and find 686+ to have a classier look and feel than the SSR’s slanted underlug.

Now, I have never shot an SSR but my 686+ is dead accurate at the range. It handles everything and recoil with my camping/outdoors load (Buffalo Bore .357 Magnum 180 grain LFNGC) is brisk but manageable. It was my first revolver and I feel it provides everything I would want in a wheel-gun both aesthetically and performance-wise (with the exception of the IL which no longer resides anywhere near my 686).

In the end, I don’t think the extra round really matters that much to most, but I like it. I’d also imagine it would help with the resale value of the gun. Also, the 686+ is about $100 cheaper if money is an issue. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
I also wonder if the SSR has enough weight behind it to absorb the recoil of full load .357. I am not afraid of recoil but I don't want a sore hand at the end of the day either.
According to the S&W website, the SSR weighs 38.3oz and the 686+ weights 38.9 so no real difference.

Last edited by bryan87; 01-30-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added Text.