View Single Post

Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 AM

Liked 698 Times in 391 Posts

I have a 686+ with a 4" barrel, and it is accurate and well balanced. The 7 chamber cylinder has the locking cutouts between chambers rather than over the thinnest part as in the 6 shot models. It is slightly more barrel heavy than the SSR, but some matches don't allow 7 shot revolvers. I'm not a big fan of full-length lugs, but it looks better proportioned at 4" than 6". The trigger is smooth, but on the heavy side for DA. SA is ... there aren't words to describe it. I just loaded 500 magnum rounds, which won't last long.

I've handled the SSR at Cabelas. It is highly refined and well balanced for carry. In particular, it is basically a Performance Center revolver, and the trigger has definitely been to charm school at S&W. The street price is about $100 more than the 686+, if that means anything. I really like the sleek lines of this gun. It's like a 627 that fits a normal sized hand perfectly. If I'd seen it a month earlier, I would have jumped for it.

To sum up, each has its virtues, and neither has anything really against it. It might boil down to 7 rounds vs a $100 trigger job and 21st century lines. Whichever one you pick is a winner.

Both come with rubber Hogue monogrips, which I don't like very well - too narrow and sticky. I put on a set of Ahrends Tactical grips within a week, and haven't looked back.

Last edited by Neumann; 01-31-2012 at 12:58 AM.