View Single Post

Old 01-31-2012, 12:38 PM

Liked 234 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
Thank you all for your input! I was unaware of not allowing 7 shots in competition. There really aren't any competitions around me (I live in Upstate NY) but if one where to come up I would like to have that option.
With any desire to play games I wouldn't consider the 7-shot.

Check this out for IDPA clubs near you.
International Defensive Pistol Association - Affiliated Club Contact Information

Dannemora is Upstate I believe. Is Sarasota? Star Lake sounds like Upstate ;-).

Contact NY's area coordinator:
International Defensive Pistol Association - Area Coordinator Contact Information

Go with 6! I see the 7-shot S&W as a no man's land gun. The extra round really doesn't provide much. It doesn't help in hunting - time to quit hunting if it does. It doesn't help at the range - you'll never notice the difference in a session. It effectively voids a gun from competiton - rules may allow them, but are hindered greatly. And if capacity is really that important get a S&W 627 or an auto with true capacity.

Personally, I just don't see why the 7-shot is ever purchased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2k View Post
I like the looks of the ssr better but the finish is what worries me. Do you have trouble cleaning the carbon off at all? Does the bead blast finish show scratches more than other finishes?
I'd get the one you like best. I doubt cleaning one is a big enough issue to override your preference.

Personally I like the 6-shot base model 686. I'm not a huge fan of the sloped bbl profile. Go with the one you like.