View Single Post

Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,699 Times in 2,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wctjr7 View Post
I am new to the forum and am trying to learn more about my grandfather's S and W 38 special ctg that I inherited. It is a C series xxx587 with a four inch barrel, fixed front sights, and original grips. Any help would be much appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. It's actually the first part of the serial number we need to know in order to get a likely date. But even without that, we can say that your gun is a Postwar .38 Military and Police with the new short action, or short throw hammer, that was introduced for these guns in 1948. If you swing out the cylinder and look at the concealed frame surface, is there a stamp MOD 10? If so, the gun postdates 1957. If there is no MOD 10 stamp, the gun is called (for shorthand) a Pre-10, and it was manufactured between 1950 and 1957.

The .38 M&P in all its varieties was the most successful line in S&W history, with several million manufactured. The C prefix was introduced at the beginning of the third million and ran until 1968.

I doubt you are interested in selling a family heirloom, but for insurance purposes the gun would probably be valued between $250 and $400 depending on condition.

Feel free to post a photo of your grandfather's gun. We like photos here.