View Single Post

Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 AM

Liked 2,444 Times in 1,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr7070 View Post
Go with 6! I see the 7-shot S&W as a no man's land gun. The extra round really doesn't provide much. It doesn't help in hunting - time to quit hunting if it does. It doesn't help at the range - you'll never notice the difference in a session. It effectively voids a gun from competiton - rules may allow them, but are hindered greatly. And if capacity is really that important get a S&W 627 or an auto with true capacity.

Personally, I just don't see why the 7-shot is ever purchased.

Sir,

Your reasoning here is generally sound, but let me tell you about my situation.

My 686+s are my home defense guns. For various reasons often set forth on this forum, I prefer revolvers to semi-autos, but mainly because: a)I have to reload to be able to afford to practice; and b)I'm partly disabled(must use crutches to walk) and therefore can't stoop to gather up the brass at the range after it has been ejected from a semi-auto. The Plus models give me one extra round which could conceivably make the difference between life and death in a home defense incident(though of course I pray that I'll never have to find out). I have just one less round than a 627, which I considered getting but which was far more expensive and harder to find, at least at the time. Since I was advised by police officers to get two guns in the event that an incident occurred and police needed to take one of them for their investigation, two 627s would have been prohibitively expensive.

There are no shooting competitions held anywhere near this area, and my disability would likely prohibit me from participating anyway. Consequently that isn't an issue for me.

There are one or two other minor advantages for me to having the 7-round models, but the above is the main one.

Respectfully,
Andy