View Single Post

Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 4,148 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCWilson View Post
Chud333, I have learned that a 1968 law prohibited sale of any military firearms deemed surplus materiel. With no way to sell the guns legally to the private sector, surplused guns were simply consigned to routine destruction. What a waste.
Hi David:

Well, that is a correct statement for the most part, but as always there are exceptions. First, since the adoption of the 1968 GCA the US government has from time to time sold or outright given small arms formerly in use by the US military to other Federal Agencies (US Customs is one example) and to state and local law enforcement agencies. Over the years some of those agencies have traded those weapons to FFL dealers/distributors for new equipment. Those traded in weapons have thus leaked into the civilian marketplace in a legitimate and legal fashion. Examples that I am aware of include Winchester Model 12 trench guns, USAF Model 15s and Army round butt Model 10s. The second exception is those weapons that were issued to General Officers and, upon retirement, were purchased by the retiring officer. Examples that I am aware of include the USAF Model 39, USAF Model 15, the RIA M15 .45 and the Beretta M9. Some of those guns have passed into civilian hands now as well.

I applaud your caution. I have had the good fortune to have owned two Model 56s. The value in these guns lies in their relative scarcity and originality. A Model 56 that does not bear the US marking on the back strap is, almost certainly, a gun that has been scrubbed and is, thus, no longer original. Regardless of whether it eventually letters as a legit Model 56 it is still a modified gun that will always have to be "explained", and there is no good explanation available on this one. To my thinking a permanently modified gun has lost almost all of its collectibility/value and has been relegated to shooter class. There is nothing wrong with owning a shooter, as long as you pay what it is worth as a shooter and not as a collectible gun.

If you really want a Model 56 my advice would be to wait for an unmodified one to show up and then go for it. Don't buy a modified gun that will, I'm sure, always be a headache and tough to unload when the time comes. Even if the price on this one is cheaper than most legit Model 56s, it won't be a bargain.
The Following User Likes This Post: