View Single Post

Old 02-10-2012, 12:00 PM

Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Default Scope and scope mount for M&P15 Sport

Last week I bought a M&P 15 Sport from Gander Mountain (had to use up a Christmas gift certificate). This is my first AR style rifle, although I have many other rifles. This AR thing is all new to me. The front sight that came on the rifle appears to be permanantly fixed to the barrel and the elevation adjustment is in the front sight, although no tool was included to do so. The rear sight is removable from the Picatinny rail. This rear sight is adjustable only for windage (right and left). I desire to put a 2X7 or a 3X9 scope on this rifle. How do you get around the problem of the front sight? This front sight is 2.25 inches tall from the barrel to the top of the sight. Will I have to remove the rear sight from the rail? What are the limitations in terms of scope objective lens size, in millimeters? What recommendations do you have for mounts and scopes? Incidentally, I shot it once last week. From sandbags, it shot 1.5 to 2.5 inch 3 to 5 shot groups at 100 yards using the supplied sights and Remington/UMC cartridges with 55 gr bullets. This rifle is very impressive so far. I can't wait to see what it will do with a scope! Thanks in advance.