View Single Post

Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 PM

Liked 130 Times in 47 Posts
Default 3" K-Frames

First the good news. Back in the mid 80's a friend and I drove up to Ashland and bought sequentially serial numbered 3" 66's. At the time my uncle had a business right next door to Ashland Shooting Supplies, where I have spent several delightful hours in past years.

Now the bad news - we both sold them. As Jeff Dunham's Walter would say "DUMB*%#". I have since bought a couple more and still have one. I have noticed several variations in the sights and rib in the different iterations.

Currently I have a couple of 3" 686+s, a 3" 66, and a couple of 3" 65's, one of which I finally badgered David Bowie out of. Being an engineer and a former mud Marine, the KISS principle is one of my life's guiding objectives. While the 66 is "sexier" IMO, I am becoming less enamored of adjustable sights as I get older. The Bowie 65 has had the front sight milled off and a tritium big dot installed. The sight channel has been milled out to match the OD of the big dot. Hammer has been bobbed and the gun has an awesome trigger. At the TDI pistol range, I can get just about 100% hits double action on steel targets while backed up against the pole barn (about 35 yards). This is one great gun. My other 3" 65 is about the same, but with a semi bobbed hammer and and a Hi Viz front sight.

As for shooting magnums - why? The FBI load is as good a fight stopper as anything you can put into a 38 / 357.

S/F,

RAS

(Moderators - I tried to insert pics but neither the paper clip icon nor the image icon would allow me to do so.)