View Single Post

Old 02-10-2012, 07:44 PM

Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model39 View Post
Having carried a 2 1/2" 66 while on duty for part of my career, the extra 1/2" added to the barrel in the 3" 66 makes all the difference. I am fortunate to own two 3" guns, and still have my original 2 1/2" partner which I have retired. It's ashame the guns are no longer made.
Model39. Love them grips on the right! Who made them. Gotta have a set as they exude class!

I now have 2 2.5" 66-2's and the one Ashland. Love all 3 but the 3" is the better shooting revolver for me. The balance is perfect, which helps accuracy. Longer sight radius makes for better accuracy and being lightweight makes for a great carry revolver for CC or on the trails. I've let plenty of friends shoot both the 2.5 and 3" with 158 gr. Speer GD's in .357 and many of them start flinching from the snappy recoil. Most of them also do better with the old Ashland than the 2.5". I packed my 3" for years and felt well armed before swapping back to my favorite pistol and SD round, a Springer Mil-Spec 1911 in .45 ACP that I had slightly modified (Wilson trigger and trigger set at a crisp 4.75 lbs., Wilson Drop in beavertail safety, Wilson hammer, Ed Brown low profile ambi safety and a tritium sight on the front only). Please don't trash me for carrying a semi and not a S&W semi at that. I love my S&W's, especially for hunting and target practie but can shoot my 1911's faster and with more accuracy than a revolver. That sweet trigger aids immensely in accuracy, I can reload it faster and a 230 gr. HP Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger will beat any .38+P round out there for sheer power out there. Started out on them in boot camp and it was our duty weapon till the M9's came. I shot it well back then and shoot it much better now from years of practice with all of the free ammo when I was on active duty. Another feature I like is if a punk somehow was able to grab it from me they are so used to just pulling the trigger such as on a Glock. With the safety engaged I have extra time to get it back or haul butt as they will be a yanking hard on that trigger with negative results! I've since went to packing a Colt Commander that I had the same mods done to plus I changed the mainspring out for an arched one for a better grip.

The 3" revolvers are just plain, good looking KA revolvers and anyone armed with one is very well armed. One of the 2.5' 66's is my wifes revolver loaded with light .38's as she is recoil sensitive. The other is strategically hidden in the living room stoked with the 158 gr. Speer GD's for quick access. I like adjustable sights on my weapons for different loads. If the rear would break off in a scuffle you won't need it anyhow as you are in a point shooting situation. Owning both the 2.5" and 3" there's little difference in up close accuracy (3-15 yards). Take the target back to 50 yards and you will see a notable difference, from my experience with the two. They command their prices as they're fewer out there and IMO are the better revolver that'll do about ANYTHING with the right load if need be. Like some guys have said wish I would have bought 4 or 5 of them when I first saw one in Shotgun News. Knew it was special then and think so to this day!

Another shot with combats. Suck for shooting as the FG's don't fit my hand well at all, but look cool. Cannot they cost as much as they do as my $50.00 Ahrend boot grips are perfect for my small hands.

Last edited by Sportsterguy; 02-10-2012 at 07:46 PM.