Thread: Thumb safety
View Single Post

Old 02-13-2012, 08:07 PM

Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffmar77 View Post
I'm going to purchase a M&P .40 Compact in the very near future. This will be my first handgun, I've fired many but never owned one. Everything instilled in me tells me to get the one with the thumb safety. Every gun I've ever owned has had a manual safety and every handgun I've ever fired has had one. I'm just not sure how I safe I will feel if I don't get that option.

Will I notice the saftey sticking into me if I carry on the waist at five o' clock?

Non thumb safety models are ready to fire once the round is in the chamber, correct? What prevents accidental firing? What prevents someone from unknowingly firing it" God forbid if my 5 year ever got a hold of it... (yes, it will be in a bedside safe with ammo close by in another secure device.)

...I just don't want to regret my choice, and non of the shops around here carry a thumb safety model.
The safety lever is a personal preference feature. There is obviously no universal answer to this question. Many law enforcement agencies buy Glocks without the safety and depend on good training. Other agencies have a manual safety as a requirement for a firearm. The US Army chose the Beretta 92 in part because of the safety. I personally would chose the model with the safety and all of my pistols have a manual safety. But that's just my opinion.
The Following User Likes This Post: