Thread: A 9 mm j-frame
View Single Post

Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 AM
US Veteran

Liked 542 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
A 9mm snubnose would be popular with combat troops, I'm sure. It could be carried inside their trousers, in a groin holster.
Unless it was issued, they wouldn't be allowed to carry it, and if caught doing so could be punished (and most likely would).

Hate to say it, but the Army is never going back to the revolver, except perhaps for Delta Force or Special Forces, for a lot of reasons. Soldiers may buy such a thing but most will be reluctant to as carrying it starts breaking into the law of land warfare business, which the Army prosecutes their own more than the enemy for. By regulation and law, soldiers cannot carry non-issue, civilian designed and manufactured weapons with rare exceptions. As an example, if a soldier purchased a Beretta 92, even if it looked like issue, if he or she were caught with it, they could be punished, and severely.

As far as what insurgents do to soldiers after capture, it's not based on fair treatment or normal kind of procedures that we might know and they know all about searching in unusual places just like soldiers are trained to do; usually if the soldier lives very long, he or she would be lucky just to use it on himself more than the enemy and might even prefer to do so; normally soldiers are captured after being wounded, incapacited or unconcious following IED strikes or ambushes. Insurgents don't care anything about casualties among themselves and want live captives for propaganda and revenge and know well how to search and restrain them. If rifles and machine guns have failed to that point, handguns are useless and the insurgents have little or no fear of them. It may make the soldier feel a little better to have such a weapon, but not if he or she is being prosecuted by their commander for carrying it. It's not that easy for soldiers to even own firearms of their own in garrison, especially if they live in barracks; the commander can even deny ownership in environments like that, sadly. The other issue is that there are so few soldiers now (and there will be less in the future) that sales would barely be affected enough for there to be a need.

Now if all of us civilians would create a need as there are millions of us, that would do the trick. Sadly, the military has little effect these days on anything as soon paying light bills and keeping fuel in armored vehicles will be a struggle for those organizations. Glad I retired when I did, but it hurts me to see what's being done to our military...but I digress.

In the meantime, I say bring back the 2 or 3" 940 (I can't help it, I've got to put in a plug for the 547!) or the 3" 547 for those of us that can have them!!!