View Single Post

Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Liked 3,973 Times in 600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickschreiber View Post
Aside from measuring the bore is there another way to tell the difference between the original Allen/Uberti (53 cal) and the subsequent Ubertie model (54 cal)? In what way are the original 53 cal better than the 54 cal? Thanks
Take this for what it is worth, I am not the expert, but have read a bit about these on the internet. (Oh I guess that does make me an expert )

My gun is not marked "Uberti" anywhere. There is the Uberti family crest stamped into the breach that you can't see when the stock is in place. Later models were marked "Uberti Italy" or something similar.

Also, there is the 1 of 1000 markings....my understanding was they were the original order and the only models in .53

I just used a micrometer on mine to verify, but also a .53 ball will not go into the barrel where the .52 will.

I am not sure there is an advantage to .53 over .54. Certainly not with my shooting skills. My understanding is that the original order for Kit Carson is in the Hawkin museum and is specifically ordered in .53

If anything the .54 would be preferable as you can get proper sized balls and molds just about anywhere. .53 you have to hunt and then mail order the .52's that you need.

I never followed up about shooting this, but is has been to the range multiple times. Like all of my guns it shoots better then I do. A true joy to shoot.