Thread: 41mag vs 44mag
View Single Post

Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 PM

Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
At one time, I owned matching 41 & 44 magnum Redhawks. I wrung them out over a couple of years. The 44 would do anything the 41 could do, plus a lot more. If I wanted lighter recoil, I'd load the 44 lighter, if I wanted more power, the 41ran out of steam pretty early compared to the 44. I consider handgun cartridges to be pretty inefficient in the big picture, and I don't feel that the average handgun bullet even hasa ballistic coefficient, so I don't see a .410 bullet having significantly flatter trajectory that a .430 bullet at normal revolver distances. Finding factory ammunition, bullets, bullet moulds, or even decent brass was a challenge. I had custom moulds made to feed the 41, then realized that while I liked the .41 much more than a .357, the 44 was much more practical. Both calibers require the same frame size, so 41s are actually heavier than 41s. Weight never made a difference to me at the range, but I could see how hunters & hikers would appreciate saving any ounce they could. The 41 went to a collector, and the 44 stayed with me. No if you want a 41, by all means buy one. That's what this is all about, but you'll never convince me that the .41 is a better all around cartridge than the 44 magnum. BTW, the comparison was actually a 3 way race. I also had a very early 45 Colt Redhawk in the game, but that's another story.
I agree that a 45colt in a MODERN frame is vastly superior to both rounds. However, comparing balistics for a 41mag 215-240gr and a 44mag 215-240gr shows a distinct advantage to the 41mag. If you want 265-300gr bullet then the 44mag does have the advantage, bit at the expense of added recoil and muzzle blast. 41mag and 45cLC still win!
The Following User Likes This Post: