Thread: 41mag vs 44mag
View Single Post

Old 02-15-2012, 11:07 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,211 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTruckGuy View Post
The story goes like this.

The 41 mag was set to debut and the ballistics were fabulous. Then suddenly, the movie Dirty Harry came out in 1971. Then the line by Harry Calahan (Clint Eastwood) went like this: I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? Once the audience heard that line, the 44 magnum sales skyrocketed over night. You couldn't find a model 29 anywhere. They were just gone said a friend of mine that owned a gun shop back then. That friend of mine is 73 today. And what was left on the shelves? You quessed it. The .41 magnum says my friend.

The .41 magnum has superior ballistics, however because of the fact that nobody wanted a .41, research to develop different bullets stopped. That is why there is such a small selection of .41.

In my opinion the .41 is a better performer that the .44. I have shot both for 30+ years. If one of the bullet manufacterers would begin developing performance bullets for the .41, I believe it would begin gaining popularity.

One last note. When the movie Dirty Harry was being filmed, the first half of the movie was shot with a .41 magnum. The second half, they finally got the .44 magnum and finished the movie with the real gun.

hmmm...cannot agree...the 41 mag.was developed to be the ideal police round...it was first sold as a M57 in 1963..NINE years prior to dirty harry...as we know it did not fare well as a police issue weapon for several reasons..one of which was police agencies of this era were not fond of the word magnum...as to all or part of the dirty harry movie being filmed with a 41 mag......this has been hashed and rehashed here many times...the experts say two M29-2's were used in the movie...eastwood kept one and the other is currently in the NRA museum here in virginia...
don't get me wrong...i love both calibers,reload for both and have a number of 41 and 44 mag.handguns....i have carried a M657 3" for quite awhile....both are super rounds and can be loaded mild to wild...i'm just glad i don't have to buy factory ammo for either...
SWCA#2208
KK4EMO
The Following 9 Users Like Post: