Thread: S&W 460
View Single Post

Old 02-19-2012, 12:23 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
If you have not bought components yet, I have a few suggestions. Starline Brass, H110/W296 and IMR4227 powders and either the Hornady 240 gr or 300 gr XTP-Mag bullets or Speer's 300gr Deep Curls. Seat and crimp in two steps and flare the brass only enough to get the bullet started. RCBS gives a good description of how to crimp for the heavy boomers with their die instructions. Stay away from bullets designed for .45LC unless you are loading them at .45LC velocities. .452 diameter bullets tend to have more neck tension in my cases and thus are less susceptible to bullet jump. My .460 has tight throats and as such, the Hodgdon web site load recipes are a tad hot. I tend to like the Hornady manual better and find their middle of the road recipes work well. I also have found IMR4227 to be a tad more accurate in my X-Frame and much less temperature sensitive. It does not give me the velocities of H110/W296, but I've found max velocities are not really needed with the .460. Flattened primers mean nuttin' in the .460, but if you find yourself pushing cases out with a dowel, you need to back down.
I may have bit off more than I can chew with this gun, I have been loading for many years, so I understand what you are saying, with that being said, this may be more than I want, thanks to all that answered my qustions.