View Single Post

Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 PM

Liked 3,889 Times in 1,361 Posts

Beretta and Sig always had a certain amount of commercial sales that I think likely exceeded those of the third generation autos. The 3rd generation guns seem to have done best with institutional sales. I don't know that as many people bought them commercially.

Institutional sales continue for the 92 series (the 96 is as far as I know no longer offered b/c LE sales dried up) and the Sigs (particularly the P229s).

S&W also failed to offer increased capacity mags as a factory option. Higher cap (than 15) mags are readily had from Sig and Beretta for their 9mms. While S&W at one point made 20rd mags (I have an old logo one dating to the original 59) they don't seem to have marketed them aggressively, nor bothered to have MecGar stamp a S&W logo on their excellent 17rd mags. They did increase capacity from 14rds to 15rds in the early 90s but that was it.

Steel frame exposed hammer guns are still made and sold by CZ btw. At least last I checked. The Italians (Tanfoglio), Turks, and Filipinos make copies or variants there of as well.

FN meanwhile makes rather nice DA/SA exposed hammer polymer pistols, though everyone seems to ignore them.

I took my early 90s square guard 5903 to the range no long ago, with MecGar 17rd mags. It was a delight to shoot and quite accurate. I did replace the grips on mine with a set of Uncle Mikes aftermarket panels after the original ones broke though.