View Single Post

Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 AM

Liked 3,961 Times in 1,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman58 View Post
JaPes, 10-4, just one of the other options one can do. I thought of just purchasing a dedicated 22LR upper and switch it when I want to shoot the 22LR. But the cost of most uppers are the price of a completed full rifle, or M&P 15/22. I figure, for the price of just the upper, I could have a complete full firing rifle, so it was the M&P 15/22 that won out..
I followed the same exact rationale. For the way I shoot, having a different platform for .22lr & .223/5.56 makes sense.

For those running a super tuned trigger in their lower ($250+ cost) or other accessories that provide a distinct difference, a dedicated .22lr upper makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
Not to mention that many of those dedicated AR .22 can be a little cranky in operation. I have seen a few of them puke in rimfire competition.If I was just going to use it for some AR practice it is a legitimate option. If I was planning on shooting tactical matches with it, I prefer the AR15-22 as it is stone reliable. The difference is comparing something designed from the ground up to be a .22 and oh, yeah you can use lots of AR parts to something that was only made into a .22 as an afterthought, and costs as much as a .223.
Yup. Other than a dedicated .22lr upper to mount on a standard AR lower receiver. There are the CMMG drop in kits. It comes with a drop in .22lr BCG & a magazine.

The downside to a drop in kit for a .223/5.56 upper is that .22lr shoots dirty. It can foul a gas tube up real quick.