View Single Post

Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 PM

Liked 101 Times in 38 Posts
Default Any reason NOT to get the Dillon XL 650?

Okay, just one final reality pinch before I head to Dillon in Scottsdale. Believe it or not I actually got the wife to agree (she loves her new 9mm CZ75B) that it's time to step up the ammo production. With her and both daughters now shooting too, the ammo pile goes down FAST. I need a progressive, and preferably one setup for eventually adding a case feeder (maybe a bullet feed down the road).

Is there any reason I should be looking at the 550 or 1050 over the XL 650, or is there some "better" progressive? Like the Hornady ammo plant system?

I leaned toward the 650 due to the powder check stage - the one concern I have had with a progressive. I know I could do spot checks with the 550.. but the cost isn't really that much more. Just thinking out loud (figuratively).

I'm planning to get the plates/die sets/powder measures for .357/.45/9mm so I can do quick ammo changes, without having to completely reset it up.

Keeping that in mind.. is there a "better way", or am I on the right track here?

One thing I really like about Dillon is they are a 25 minute drive door to door. But if this is a not-great idea considering other options... I'd forego the locality.

Thanks for any advice!