View Single Post

Old 02-20-2012, 09:12 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I've got the Hornady L-n-L. Very pleased with it. Haven't used the Dillon.

Differences, as far as I can tell...

Hornady can load handgun and rifle on same press.

FIVE stations. I need them all for 45 acp. Allows for a separate seating and crimping station (say if you want to use a factory crimp die for instance.)

1000 free bullets with the Hornady. Don't know if they're still running this promo...

Hornady has positive auto indexing. You cannot turn it backward and produce an inadvertent double charge. (Well, ok, you can do something like that, but it's not easy. You won't do it casually without thinking. You have to work at it by fiddling with the half index system. Remember, NOTHING is foolproof.)

Individual rounds can be easily removed and re-inserted into the shell plate without tearing the setup apart.

The stations can be advanced multiple times without ejecting primers. If they're not seated into a case, they stay in the primer "thingy".

Changing calibers is less than 10 minutes. If you buy extra collets dies can be left set up ready to go. Pop one set out, pop another set in. Same for seating different bullets if you care to but extra seater dies. (About $5 each at gun shows.) I load 3 different bullets for 38 spec.

Micrometer powder charging adjusters are available making powder charge changes very quick. If you remember to record the setting you used last time for that powder.

Two years and 15000 rounds. Nothing has broken yet.

It's red.

Disadvantages of the LnL. Remember, I've not used a Dillon.

Primer seater has to be kept clean. This will slow you down if you don't. Best I've found is to blow out the primer seater w compressed air every 100 rounds.

Dillon primer pickup tubes have a lighter feel than Hornady's. Try to find a few used ones at a gun show. They fit fine into the Hornady.

The very last primer out of 100 can be reluctant to feed. But only the last one. Don't let the tube run down to the last primer...

It took every bit of 5000 rounds before I got enough experience to know when it was running well and when there was something needing attention. Suspect this might be the case for Dillon, as well. Steep learning curve on a progressive.

That's all I can think of at the moment...