View Single Post

Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 AM

Liked 106 Times in 56 Posts
Exclamation A warning to those that use "brake-clean" to clean your guns.

This is a warning to those of you that use automotive brake cleaner to clean your guns. In a bone-head move, I forgot to remove the wood grips from my 17-3 when I was cleaning it with brake-clean and it took the finish off of my grips. By the time I noticed what was happening, it had removed about 50% of the original finish off of both grips. Needless to say, I was sick about it. I love using break cleaner because it is a great solvent for gun powder, its cheap, and will continue to use it but, I'll make sure the grips are removed : )

However, If you find yourself in this situation, I have found the perfect finish that matches the original to a "T" in both looks and feel. I removed the remaining finish on both grips with lacquer thinner and a nylon brush. Next, I found a product that is avialible at Walmart in a 11.5 oz. spray can made by Minwax called Helmsman Spar Urethane. It comes in flat, semi-gloss, and high gloss. I used the semi gloss. After spraying 2 light coats on the grips and allowing 24 hours to dry, I taped off the checkering on the grips so that the finish would'nt build up, removing the crispness and sharpness of the checkering. I then sprayed 4 more light coats at 24 hour intervals on each grip. Finally, I removed the blue painters tape and sprayed one final finish coat on the entire grip. After they dried for 3 days, I rubbed them out using Mequires Liquid Polish followed by thier pure Carnuba Wax and they turned out great. I doubt that anyone would know the difference between them now and before I removed the original finish. I made no attempt to "fill" the grain of the walnut with the finish. Too much finish and sanding between coats will defeat the purpose of trying to duplicate the original finish. This minwax finish is very durable and is resistant to sunlight, rain & moisture, and temperature changes and should last for many years. One can should do several sets of grips. So, bottom line, there is no need to panic if disaster strikes. Just be patient and follow the instructions on the can. Its easy and the results will surprise you.