View Single Post

Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 PM

Liked 158 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiesDuckHunter View Post
P239 SAS Gen 2

SIG can't make their new P239's, P938's and P238's fast enough and are adding additional shifts to get more guns to markets. The 1911 field is ever expanding. Remington and Ruger are both capturing robust sales with their 1911 offerings, and they seem to be able to make them profitably while MSRP's are under $800.

Several of our local LE agencies have switched from Glocks to Sigs. Almost every officer you talk to, that has a choice , will choose a SIG over a GLock.

These are buyers that S&W potentially lost when they abandoned the 3rd gen market. Maybe it was so they could focus only on their M&P lines, but I think it was a big mistake. They also make plenty of sales and plenty of profits on their "classic" revolver line - they should be able to do the same with a limited edition of wither classic 3rd gens or some "4th gens".

In my opinion, it's really foolish to drop the alloy pistol line up and let SIG and Beretta dominate that segment.

By the way, there are some quality polymer framed pistols. I think the M&P lines are good guns. The Walther PPS is an outstanding weapon in its own right, but maybe one of the best CCW guns out there in Polymer. And my favorite, which another post mentioned above, are the FNH guns with hammer fired actions. My son bought one after I convinced him it was one of the better new pistols out on the market. He likes my 3rd gens and wanted a new gun, and already has a Walther PPS. he wanted the new gun to be hammer fired, DA/SA and high quality. After trying many out he locked in on an FNP9. That gun is great handling and a great shooter. Probably one of the best out of the box triggers I've used in a long time and extremely accurate.

I'm probably going to buy a less expensive polymer framed gun - for my fly fishing waders/vest use. Other than that, I'll stick with alloy or steel framed guns. In fact, I'll probably buy a compact SIG P239Gen II this year. That's the 4th gen gun S&W should be making. De-horned slide and frame, etc. Only I wish it had a frame mounted de-cocker.

On the other hand, I just saw a LNIB 3914 go for $335 the other day on GunBroker. It's just amazing that you can buy 3rd gens, LNIB, like a 3913/14; 4513's, etc., for $330-$500. Every time I think I should get a new 1911 or SIG I find some great deal on a 3rd gen S&W!
Im the same way gunbroker and 2nd and 3rd gen smiths are easy to find under 400.00 but in the last 6 mo nib examples are going through the roof an example was a 6906 nib went for 750.00 and had over 50 bids.