Thread: S&W 547 price
View Single Post

Old 02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
US Veteran

Liked 542 Times in 218 Posts

Interesting chart 5wire, did you make that or did you gain that out of blue book? I'd say the information is pretty accurate, but sellers are often getting about whatever they ask these days. Maybe not always, but often. The few of us out there that know about the 547s really want them and will often pay premium, especially new or near new in the box.

There were about 6500 3" RBs made and about 3800 4" SBs (numbers rounded up a little). So while most everyone seems to want a 3" these days, the 4" models are more rare, with NIBs really owning the price market. I'd get one now while you can and if it seems a little high, remember this, S&W isn't making them anymore, and seems to have no plan to make more. I found a NIB here in Germany and paid $923, which is a good price for a NIB revolver here; everything in this country is super expensive these days. I think it would be a good deal even in the US; can't quite figure out how it got over here. I don't have physical possession of it, and will be interested to see if it has German proof marks, which would mean that S&W issued it to a dealer, if it doesn't have proof marks then it means another American probably sold it here. You cannot shoot a firearm in Germany if it isn't proofed by a German proof house.

There's a lot of mythology about the 547, who they were made for and why they were dropped. The dates alone will tell you the "wondernine" phenomena probably helped with the 547s demise. But one thing is certain, S&W had an interesting and well designed extraction system. Some say it's the "most expensive" to produce revolver S&W made, but I don't really believe that. I think it simply couldn't compete in the era of high capacity autos in the mid 80's but don't know that as a fact. I think it's one of the most unique K-frames made. I've got two, and want more!

Last edited by M2MikeGolf; 02-23-2012 at 03:07 PM.