View Single Post

Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 PM

Liked 456 Times in 205 Posts
Default Ruger SR22 pistol

Here's a little review for a new gun on the market. I went looking for a new .22 pistol recently for my girlfriend to shoot. I have plenty of .22s of course, but nothing that fit my needs. I wanted an inexpensive, compact semi-auto with DA/SA, thumb safety and decocker. That way I can train her on various pistol functions and two trigger pull weights on a single platform.

I decided on the new Ruger SR22 pistol. It is very compact and friendly to small hands. The trigger pull is okay, and improved noticeably after a few hundred rounds. Most importantly it has been 100% reliable. This phrase is used a lot, but for a .22 is was an honest concern for me. The last thing I need is constant malfunctions while I am trying to build good shooting fundamentals in her. Other 22 semis can be finicky about ammo and have occasional failures to feed or fire. This one does not.

She loved shooting it. I kept a slow pace and asked her several times if she wanted to keep shooting or was getting tired. All she wanted to do was load more magazines and shoot more. This was exactly the reaction I wanted. Her targets showed excellent results and I knew this pistol was a good match for her.

Don't worry, she shot a good S&W at the range too. But the smile on her face shooting this little Ruger made the purchase price well worth it. She was dropping hints about making it "her" gun on the first range visit.

Oh yeah, I had a lot of fun shooting it too.

Anyone else shooting the SR22 pistol?