Thread: optics help
View Single Post

Old 02-24-2012, 03:58 AM
Banned

Liked 1,190 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2 View Post
just bought my first rifle AR 15 Sport. Loooking to put a optic on it,looking around i am getting confused. At what point do i really need a magnified optic. What are my best somewhat budget but yet still good optic choices for my first optic whether magnified or not. I am not a hunter just bought to have fun,go to the range do some shooting with. Thanks
From 10-75 yards, you can get MOB1 accuracy from a simple red dot optic. (Minute of Badguy.) For MOA, a 2x or 3x optic is necessary. From 75-200 yards, a 3x9 is ideal. I have a fixed 6x on my ar10, with BUIS. It's a Weaver, and I am partial to these scopes; some are very loyal to Nikon and some to Leupold, and so on. It is meant for 50-300 yard shooting.
Beyond 200 yards, out to say 400, to get anything better than MOB1, you will need a 10-12x scope. Funny, you wind up concentrating on trying to drill paper in a small group you will find in many cases you do nearly as well with good BUIS!
Beyond 400 yards, you need a 16x scope to get real accuracy. Whereas a set of iron sights will still get you on a man size target, you would find that a 3x optic would really struggle to get a real group on a paper target. And truthfully, a 3x9 is out-classed at that range when you are talking about trying to hold to the mystical MOA. At 400 yards, it's size is a good bit larger....16" x 16" is MOA at 400 yards. And that is a TINY target to the naked eye. More likely, you will be reverting to MOB2.......... (Minute of Barndoor)
A good 3x9 is all you will ever need on the average rifle for hunting, or average shooting to say 300 yards. For up close quick shooting , a good red dot is a great way to go.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: