Thread: optics help
View Single Post

Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Banned

Liked 1,190 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2 View Post
Alot of good info,thanks. So for most of us AR shooters at the range for fun sounds like a red dot is enough and then add a magnifier for the range for a little farther out. Looking on the Primary Arms site I see they also have a 6x magnifier.Would I be better off with that? Does a magnifier adjust up from 1x to 3x or 6x (depending on what one you have) or is it always just 6x magnified?
If an optic shows a single digit, that's what you get. Like this: Shminky's scope; 6x38. That's a 6 times magnification, and a 38mm lens. A variable will show the equally common: 3-9x40 or similar. 3 thru 9 times magnification, with a 40mm lens.

I will stress it to you; try to look thru several models at a shop, and SEE how well the glass lets light in, how well it does looking into shadows, how good the magnifier really is. See if you really like the reticle it has. For a lit reticle, see if it goes dim enough; you can find deer, hogs, 'yotes in the shadows early and late, and often a scope with a lit reticle will blind the optic if it can not dial down low enough. The price is not always representative of the quality, but to be sure, buy a known quality scope or you will be sorry once it has been shot several times, or you fly with it, or it gets dropped, etc. All of these will make lesser scopes get all kinds of out of whack.