View Single Post

Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 AM

Liked 862 Times in 379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
Well that's clever! So apparently its chambers were reamed for the 45 Colt but not long enough for the case to seat on the rim. That way the cases stuck out far enough for the headspace to be tight enough for reliable ignition when loaded separately and also enough to use your modified cases with moon clips.

Sorry, I was not clear on this - the condition with both these Revolvers ( the .455 S & W and the .455 Colt, but not the Colt .New Service .455 Eley I was mentioning previously, a different one I have had for ever,) is that who-ever had bored and also shaved the rear of the Cylinders to convert them from the .455 to .45 ACP/.45 Colt, did so in a way where .45 Colt fit in all the way to where the Rim was flat against the Cylinder, but when doing so, it then had quite a generous Head Space, since the Head Space between Cylinder and Recoil Shield was calculated for .45 ACP in Moon Clips.

They would fire the .45 Colt just fine, with the generous Head Space, but one day I had a Cartridge Case seperate about in it's middle, and, this seemed to me to be less than ideal.

Where, my use of .45 Colt in Moon Clips solved all the various issues, of Bullet Jump, Head Space, and, allowing me to use chubbier than usual Bullets.

Quote:
And of course that was enough headspace for 45 ACP with moon clips as well. So the only option you don't have is loading ACP w/o clips and who would want to do that anyway because of the ejection issue.
Yes, in those two Revolvers, .45 ACP with no Moon Clips would not work well or would not work at all...as the Cartridge would dive down into the Cylinder Chamber doo deeply for the Firing Pin to reach! Lol...

Quote:
That's the most brilliant solution I've ever heard of!

Thank you!

I know I had some images of the .45 Colt in full Moon Clips, but I have not been able to find where I had put them.

The "New Service 455 Eley" I recently got, who's Cylinder has been shaved, but, whose Cylinder Chambers appear to be original in depth and undisturbed...now, it looks like it will manage .45 ACP without Moon Clips, and, maybe, that is what it was modified/shaved to do.

It's Cylinder will not close with .45 ACP in Moon Clips, and, of course, will not abide .45 Colt, either since it does not fit in near far enough...though it still abides .455 Eley perfectly, if possibly with just a teeeeeeny bit more Headspace than originally intended, but not sos much as one could notice by looking, for having had it's Cylinder shaved a little.

So, as our excellent Thread is showing, there are quite a few ways in which these originally .455 S&W and Colt Revolvers had been 'converted', and, it can take a while to get them figured out.

I will post an image showing this sometime soon.

Last edited by Oyeboteb; 02-27-2012 at 06:43 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: