View Single Post

Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default 9mm bullet length with 115 lead rn

Last night I was going to try to start refilling my supplies after a Saturday shooting my latest 9mm acquisitions - PPS and a CZ 75B. I use a Lee Classic Turret Press. I was going by the Hodgdon data on loads for Lead RN with HP-38 - COL 1.1 (my digital rule had it about 1.17) with about 4.6 grains of powder.
For some reason, something did not feel right so I loaded up magazine with the reloads and started to cycle them. First one jammed. Too much effort to get it to eject and when it did the brass came out, but no bullet.
With just the barrel from my CZ, I dropped in some factory loads to see how they seated and then my reloads. Factory loads would easily seat all the way and come out easily. My reloads did not seat fully.
So, re-adjusted my case resizing die and loaded a bullet (no powder/primer). No difference. Then I modified my bullet seating and finally at about 1.07 inches the bullet behaved normally. I checked my final crimp die adjustment and "resized" about 10 of my reloads. Loaded those in one my mags and they cycled properly. Did the same with my PPS and they cycled properly on this wonderful shooting gun.
Went back and "resized" the rest and spot checked a few for cycling.
Have not had an opportunity to test and did not reload any more until I test.
My question - was my methodology OK or did I do something seriously wrong in resizing my reloads.
As I noob at this (about 1 year), I am needing to learn.