View Single Post

Old 02-27-2012, 02:26 PM

Liked 6,611 Times in 2,198 Posts

From my own perspective, I consider any firearm that's only been in production, and out in the hands of actual owners/users, for 1-2 years as essentially still being a "new gun".

I'd hope that after the first couple of years the engineers and manufacturers ought to have been able to identify and address typical teething pains.

Then, there's the virtually inevitable revisions and refinements which often continue to occur over the years.

Having been through a fair number of armorer classes over the years (more than a Baker's Dozen), I've listened to folks from various companies discuss any number of ongoing changes being made to address occasional issues in some of their guns (mostly being reported by LE users), sometimes even after a model has been in production for several years.

One of the other major gun companies is still working to address reported issues with their latest product line change ... and that model line isn't as "new" as the Bodyguard line.

It took another of the companies a few years to address some reported issues with their .45 extractor design, and it appears they may still be refining the 2nd design change made after they changed the way they make their slides.

The M&P striker revision came about more than 3 years after the introduction of the M&P.

Last edited by Fastbolt; 02-27-2012 at 02:33 PM.