View Single Post

Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,993 Times in 3,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyeboteb View Post
Hi Jack Flash,

... Mine says "NEW SERVICE 455 ELEY" for the Barrel Stamping text.
I think I paid like $36.00 for a Box of factory .455 Cartridges at the Gun Show, some non-ammo seller who had a few odd Boxes of this and that, and, I figured I'd save the Brass ( if I ever shoot it enough to do so, ) and, then, re-Load them.
Next time I go to the Range, I will try mine with some every day K-Mart .45 ACP Cartridges, and, see how they fire.
I have a few old Boxes of factory loaded .45 Auto-Rim, and, several old Boxes of factory primed Cases, and, I should dig those out and see how - or if - they fit, too.

Have you tried those with yours?
My face is red. Mine says ".455 Eley" on the barrel just like yours. I have some Dominion (Canadian) brass headstamped ".455 Colt" which somehow caused me to get confused. (On occasion, I do get confused ).

$36 for a box of .455 cartridges is not bad. Are they Fiocchi? If so, I'll bet they are Mark II. If instead it is British service .455, they are almost certainly Berdan primed and very corrosive.

I would caution against trying to shoot unclipped .45 ACP in your revolver. I did this and I found out it was pretty reckless of me. The first one would go off ok, but the recoil would cause the other five to sink deeper into their chambers, so the next one would not fire. Worst case, your firing pin may just barely touch the primer of the second one and cause a hang fire. It goes without saying that this could be disasterous if you are engaged in some kind of rapid fire exercise. In other words, don't do it!

If .45 Colt will not function in my revolver because the rim is too thick, then naturally the even thicker rimmed .45 Auto Rim wouldn't either.