View Single Post

Old 02-27-2012, 05:49 PM

Liked 862 Times in 379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flash View Post
My face is red. Mine says ".455 Eley" on the barrel just like yours. I have some Dominion (Canadian) brass headstamped ".455 Colt" which somehow caused me to get confused. (On occasion, I do get confused ).

Ahhh, welcome to the Club!

Lol...

The only people I have ever known who did not make mistakes or get a little confused now and then, were people in a Coma, and, for all I know, they still made mistakes or got confused, but in that situation, no one else would have been able to tell, and, they did not seem to have anything to say about it either, so...

Quote:
$36 for a box of .455 cartridges is not bad. Are they Fiocchi? If so, I'll bet they are Mark II. If instead it is British service .455, they are almost certainly Berdan primed and very corrosive.
I just had a look, and the Box of Cartridges are 'Hornady', Mk-II, 265 Grain Lead.

Now that I am looking at the Box, I am not sure that I was correct about what I paid, not that it matters, but, I think it was more like 20-something, as it is a 25 Round Box.

I bought some other Ammo that day, which was like $36.00 and I was getting those two mixed up.

Buck-a-round is about the upper limits of where I can retain any enthusiasm about buying Pistol Ammo I think.

Quote:
I would caution against trying to shoot unclipped .45 ACP in your revolver. I did this and I found out it was pretty reckless of me. The first one would go off ok, but the recoil would cause the other five to sink deeper into their chambers, so the next one would not fire. Worst case, your firing pin may just barely touch the primer of the second one and cause a hang fire. It goes without saying that this could be disasterous if you are engaged in some kind of rapid fire exercise. In other words, don't do it!
Oh! Yipes! - thanks for the mention/caution on that. That does not sound like fun at all.

I will proceed with this in mind then, and, likely just load two rounds, and, after firing the first, I will inspect the positioning of the second before continuing.

Quote:
If .45 Colt will not function in my revolver because the rim is too thick, then naturally the even thicker rimmed .45 Auto Rim wouldn't either.
Ahhhh...makes sense...

I need to find my old Boxes of Auto-Rim so I can try those in mine. But, I am now thinking they shall be too fat in the Head for this Revolver, just as they are with yours, since .45 ACP in Moon Clips clearly prevent the Cylinder closing on this particular one of mine.

Where, so far, it seems like the 'conversion' or modification in my instance, was to permit the use of un-Moon-clipped .45 ACP, since, nothing else so far appears to fit! ( Other than .455 Mk-something-or-other Cartridges proper, or, .450 Adams I suppose, or .476 Enfield, or their likes, since they were all the same diameter and varies by length by only a little, Lol...).

Cylinder Chambers are a little deeper than the .455 Mk-II Cartridge Case length is long, and, the 'step' is not a 90 degee one, but, rather, is a little softened or rounded in it's way.

So, I will see if .45 ACP by itself drifts or sinks into the Chambers from recoil, or, not...I am not even sure just what the .45 ACP is locating on, since it also is a little shy in Case length to meet the actual position of the 'step'...and that then will help decide what the 'conversion' had accomplished ( if it had in fact accomplished anything beyond making the rear of the Cylinder appear a little 'shaved' ).

Last edited by Oyeboteb; 02-27-2012 at 05:54 PM.