Thread: 411
View Single Post

Old 02-29-2012, 07:35 PM

Liked 6,569 Times in 2,189 Posts

Nice pictures for a basic comparison dsk.

Sometimes there may be some revisions and subtle changes that aren't necessarily easily seen, as well.

For example, I had to replace an extractor for one of the budget .40's (can't remember at the moment whether it was a 410 or a 411, though).

Having been surprised by unlisted parts differences among different 3rd gen models, I called customer service and asked to confirm the extractor & extractor spring part numbers, explaining I was an armorer and needed to order a couple of parts. (I had a lot of extractor springs, but no .40 extractors at that time.)

The person asked me for the serial number of the pistol, and when I asked why that was needed I was told that their in-house computer parts lists indicated a change in slide mass for that model at one point during production ... and it changed the extractor spring that was needed. They could tell me which spring was recommended by the serial number (range). (Slide mass has an effect upon the whole "moment-of-mass" thing when it involves a pivoting extractor that uses a spring to resist movement when being acted upon by recoil forces.)

The spring I was told ought to work was different than any other extractor spring I'd ever seen listed or used in another 3rd gen .40, or any other model.

Good thing I called.

Last edited by Fastbolt; 02-29-2012 at 07:38 PM.