View Single Post

Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,944 Times in 1,494 Posts

Combat:

You may not have to travel to see a qualified appraiser. You already have some good photos of your items. I'd suggest contacting one of the more reputable auction houses, such as Sotheby's, or Christie's, and get their opinion(s). As an example, my late Mom had some Chinese art work she knew was valuable, but she didn't know how valuable, and she lived out beyond the sticks. In the days before the internet and digital photography, she contacted Sotheby's by phone and spoke with the appraisers. I don't know all of the details, but I do know Sotheby's sent an appraiser on their dime, he visited my Mom at her home (by appointment), and made her an offer to buy. When she asked how she would be able to ship the art work to New York, she said the buyer (politely) laughed and said he would take care of that. When she asked for details, the appraiser said he was trained, and equipped to handle the safe shipment of the art, and that she wouldn't have to worry about it as she would have her payment in hand before he took possession of her artwork. I don't know how much money she made from the sale, but I think it was quite a bit. Surprisingly, some other art she had, and thought was valuable, wasn't due to condition, etc.

Bottom line, seek expert advice. It's much easier now than it was for my poor Mom, and it will help you decide what options you have available to you. Best of all, it will help prevent the dreaded: "coulda, shoulda, woulda".

Best of luck, please let us know how this turns out.

Regards,

Dave
The Following User Likes This Post: