View Single Post

Old 03-03-2012, 07:12 PM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by team sidewinder View Post
The sad part is that is the repair work they do going to last any longer because 300rds isn't that many. It would be a shame on S&W if they haven't found a way to prevent this from happening. I still think along with poor quality control they just cheap out on the materials they use to make their guns these days. A few cents saved on every gun can make a huge bottom line profit for them at the end of the year.
Really, just how many 460 Magnums do you think they sell in a year, I suspect that it's well under 1000. Means that if they save 3 cents per gun by using inferior materials it'll add up to a huge 30 dollars at years end.

Personally I suspect that the ammo choice may play a role in this erosion. While I don't own a 460 Magnum I suspect that a 200 gn. bullet is is rather light for this caliber. As a result what we are seeing may be a product of flame cutting. Sum it up and with a 300 gn. bullet we may not see these results.

Good news is the warranty will cover the damage and S&W will return it with a new barrel installed. Points up that it's a good idea to give your gun a good looking over any time you clean it so you can see something like this developing before it causes any real damage or injury.