View Single Post

Old 03-04-2012, 01:00 AM

Liked 1,907 Times in 787 Posts

Centennial Every Day!

Stay away from the "new" Bodyguard plastic fantastic. You could give the Ruger LCR a try as you are new to revolvers and don't have any manual of arms habits (the LCR operates differently from the J frames). Airweights are good but stay away from the ultralights (AirLite, etc.) for a first gun. The 640 (stainless steel Centennial) is a good option for a first gun but a bit heavy for pocket carry (according to some). For caliber, .38 Special for sure.

The 642 is an excellent personal defense handgun given certain conditions!

Large rubber grips are a must for beginners.

Standard pressure ammo only until you get used to the recoil of the Airweight Centennial . That includes carry ammo too!

1000 dry fires as soon as possible. This will smooth up the action quite a bit and make trigger control much easier.

Practice firing at distances less than seven yards. Anything beyond that will likely frustrate you.

Use silhouette targets at the range. Airweights are fighting guns, not target guns! Trying to shoot small bullseye groups with an Airweight is not the mission of this handgun (although you might find it most rewarding later on).

A good pocket holster is a must! It's like peanut butter and jelly! They just go together so well. I recommend the Mika pocket holster more than any other.

I really try to stay with standard pressure ammo as I shoot it much better than +P in the Airweights.

Some to consider:

Remington 110gr SJHP
Winchester 110gr Silvertip
Federal 125gr Nyclad
Federal 110gr Personal Defense (HS)
Federal 148gr Gold Medal wadcutter
Hornady 110gr FTX
Speer 125gr Gold Dot

Buffalo Bore offers many different standard pressure loads but, due to their high velocity, they have just as much recoil as most +P loads.

Try those and see which one shoots best in your gun.