View Single Post

Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 AM

Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

I started my revolver craze with Rugers, my first-ever DA revolver having been a 7.5" SRH in .454 Casull, which was my all-time favorite Ruger. It was far better than The Redhawk & SP101 I would later own - and they were better than any of the myriad of new SA Rugers I owned. They were all delivered - new - as 'works in progress' - I became adept at cleaning up pawl channels and properly reaming holes - including chambers! My 4" .32 H&RM was by far the worst QC example - it took a while to clean it up. Finally cleaned up, trigger-wise, I still didn't have much - the .22 & .32 H&RM SP101s back then only had a windage adjustment on the rear sight. Additionally, the two .32s I had - the 4" SP101 and 4.6" BHG SSM - had huge, almost .338" ID chambers, which overworked the brass - .32 H&RM and .32 S&WL alike - resulting in very short case life. I sold everything with Ruger on it - save my 'Old Army' bp revolver.

If you get an SP101, checkout the Ruger forum and their SP101 tuneup instructions. Take particular heed of the advice to put the trigger group in a Ziploc bag before further dissassembly. Cleanup helps - and some like the lighter weight Wolff springs, too, although I'd keep the OEMs for a rimfire revolver. Don't clip springs!

Still, from one to one comparison in shooting at the range - new 3" 63 and new 4" SP101 - both 8-shooters - my 3" 63 was the clear winner. Oddly, 2nd place wasn't that bad...

Stainz