View Single Post

Old 03-06-2012, 01:19 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default 627 Performance Center - Fail or make it right

Hello everyone,

I want to share my recent experience with my Smith and Wesson 627 Performance Center. This is a beautiful and expensive revolver which I paid $1240 for.

I bought it new in August 2010. I put 400-500 factory Federal 357 magnum rounds through it, and it developed a serious problem. On two recent occasions after firing a 357 round, the cylinder froze and locked the whole gun up solid. The cylinder was locked solid, the cylinder release was locked, everything frozen. With live rounds in the cylinder! The experienced range master could not get it to open, either. Finally, through pushing on the cylinder release, working the hammer and trigger, and pushing HARD on the cylinder, I was able to get it to release.

So, I sent it back to Smith and Wesson in early February 2012. They fixed it, and sent it back two weeks ago. The form letter they attached indicated it was a “primer flow” problem, and that the replaced the firing pin and the bushing.

Okay, so good enough. Back to the range with it, and after 69 rounds of Federal 357 magnum rounds, it locked up AGAIN. I was shooting single action, and after the round fired, the cylinder locked up, trigger all the way to the rear. Again, I had to force it open. I also noted that the primer was not protruding out the back of the brass shell.

This is my house gun to protect my family, and my field gun. At this point I have lost faith in this particular gun.

I am extremely disappointed in Smith & Wesson’s lack of quality control when they build this Performance Center Revolver, and disappointed that after they sent it back, the problem is unfixed.

This is unacceptable for any new quality gun, much less a Performance Center gun. I should also add that when I send it back the first time, I asked for a letter or call from the gunsmith explaining what happened and what they did to fix it. S&W just sent me a form letter saying Primer Flow, and replaced firing pin and bushing. I would have hoped for more after I paid $1240 for it, which I did because I thought I was buying something of supreme quality, the best.

So, I am sending it back a second time. As I said, I have lost faith in this revolver as a home protection gun. Still, I want S&W to make it right.

I am really upset after spending so much money on a gun, to have it fail like this. At this point my first choice would be to get my money back. Or if not that, then sending me a new revolver.

Thanks for listening, I will update this with how they stand behind their product and take care of their customer, or not.

-Dave