View Single Post

Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,195 Times in 2,860 Posts

The 3 inch 66's are quite possibly the finest concealed carry revolvers made. Easily concealed, accurate, perfectly balanced, powerful and look good doing all that.

There were just over 5000 made and evidently there won't be any more, as nice, from S&W anyway. The high prices - on all pre lock S&W revolvers - is due to the lack of quality and high prices on the current production S&W guns, IMO .

The smaller quantity of 3 inch pre lock 66's available, combined with their desireable features - full length ejection, flash chromed forged parts ect., the prices will naturally continue to climb. Just like other short production desireable revolvers, like the Python snubs.

I carried my 3 inch 66-4 on duty and off duty for a little over 6 years. A superb carry gun. I retired it for sentimental reasons and picked up an Ashland 3 inch 66-2 to replace it with.

A local Doctor shot mine a few weeks back and commisioned me to find him one just like it. I found one LNIB on Gunbroker a week ago. The Doctor happily forked over $1100 for it. He declared the 3 inch 66 to be; "Well worth it......" "The finest handgun I have ever fired...."

I can't say I disagree with him. Folks can describe why the 3 inch 66's are all that, but I think one should hold and shoot a 3 inch 66 to really see what all the fuss is about. My 0.02 Regards 18DAI