View Single Post

Old 03-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,201 Times in 3,064 Posts

I bought my 3" lew horton 66-3 a long time ago. Everything about it suggested the ultimate at the time. It has the trillijon night sights that now need to be refreshed or replaced. It has the port. Probley dont need it. In truth I have shot the gun very little. Several other guns ride with me more on the trails. For holster guns I like shorter barrels and less weight. It is very hard to beat a 4" M&P. I often carry a 3" model 36. It is just enough lighter to make a big differance in the portability for me for comfort. Many times I carry a .44 special if I think I need more muscel than a .38 special. I own some of the best .357s made, a couple pythons 2 1/2" and 4" and a model 27-2 5" besides the 3" 66-3.
For some reason I never really thought about I very seldom take any .357 on my quad rides. I think it is because I dont like getting them dusty and scratched up and for the weight involved I have .44 specials that are a better caliber to start with and several of them are as handy to carry as a .357.
So for me the easist gun to pack is first, the 3" 36, then the 4" m&p, and then I skip right over my .357s and carry a 4" 24-3 or a single action .44 special colt or ruger. Decisions, decisions!