Thread: 411
View Single Post

Old 03-06-2012, 02:23 PM

Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Nice pistol TB, but please note that it's not "the same gun" as the 411.
Your pistol has a squared-off slide with no locking lug on the barrel, a tapered dust cover, and likely has plastic sights, guide rod, and magazine catch.
I have both a 915 and 910 (9mm versions of the 411/410 respectively), and those are the main differences.
Funny thing, but I've actually been enjoying the 910 more at the range despite its "cruder" construction.
I do agree, they (the 410 vs. 411, 910 vs. 915) have a few noticeable visual differences.

I just returned from Florida for what turned into an extended stay.
While there, I was able to get together with forum member Wesman a few times and this was just one of many things we spoke about.

The way I understand it;
The 915 and 411 were machined with the same design criteria and on the same machines as the 5903 and 4003 series.
Although they were being marketed as a less expensive "Value Line" series to get market share for LEO sales and many, many departments signed on with them.
Sales volumes were good but the profit margin was not, that did not go over well in the eyes of the bean counters.
If you get a chance to buy one, the price is usually less than a 5906 or 4003, the major components are basically the same.

Then the Clinton deal was signed with the whole 10 round thing and in order to keep a "Value Line" series going.
The 915 and 411 were were re-looked at and re-designed from an engineering stand point to be made in a more cost effective manner using newer,
more state-of-the-art methods of manufacturing, with more efficient machines, manufacturing processes and shop flow.

The 910 and 410 were born.

Do not let anyone lead you to believe that these are "cheap" firearms.
The have all most all of the same internals of the 915 and 411 and function as admirably.