View Single Post

Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 AM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default Kearsage custom grips

I thought you guys might like to hear about the day I met Charlie wendell the guy who made Kearsage grips. I was in a gun shop in Canton Massachusetts back in the 1970's. I saw a pair of Kearsarge grips for an "S" frame in the case and asked to see them. I said wow those are nice grips. The man standing beside me said I made them. He introduced himself as Charlie Wendell. I asked if he would make me a set of grips and he said he was retired but that I should contact him and he would see what he could do. He gave me his card and I bought the grips that the store owner had for sale. Not knowing at the time that this was the last oppertunity for me to buy a new set of Kearsarge grips and being short of cash I delayed in calling Charlie. A year or two later a friend of mine contacted Charlie and found out Charlie had passed away. He asked Charlies daughter if there were any grips left that he could purchase. She invited my friend over and he purchaced what was left of Charlies stuff. No grips but he purchased the frames that were used to fit the grips he made. I haven't seen my friend in quite some time and don't know what he did with Charlies stuff. In a weak moment I sold the Kearsrge grips I bought that day and have regretted it ever since. Hope I didn't bore you guys. By the way Charlie was a nice old guy when I met him. I was just a young guy then and he took the time to talk to me probably knowing I was just kicking tires. RHP
The Following 5 Users Like Post: