View Single Post

Old 03-07-2012, 03:06 PM

Liked 993 Times in 378 Posts

Many say that the SR22 is a P22 killer.

Search the Ruger forums and youtube for SR22 problems and you'll find that the barrel screw can come loose and batter the **** out of the aluminum insert in the frame. Also, there are reports that the plastic takedown lever assembly which also acts as the slide buffer can break. Of course, Ruger's warranty is what it is. Meaning there is no warranty. At Ruger's disgression they either fix your problem or not. Right now with the SR22 being so new, they're inclined to fix SR22 problems including issuing a free return label.

Read the Walther forums and you'll see high round P22s breaking slides, which would indicate poor buffering. This would include newer P22s as well. Of course, the Walthers only have a 1 year warranty and shipping is on you. On the other hand, folks have reported great success going through S&W's service number for Walther issues and having free service out of warranty and receiving free return shipping. So, if you have a problem with a Walther, don't go through Walther, go through S&W.

The SIG Mosquito doesn't seem to have any reliability issues. However, some owners report the Mosquito as jam-o-matics. It would appear that given the proper dose of CCI Minimags (200 or more rounds) and plenty of lubrication that eventually the Mosquito will then fire cheap bulk pack Federal ammo of the WalMart variety. The Mosquito does come with 2 recoil springs, one for HV stuff and the other for MV stuff. I don't know what factor this plays in the jam-o-matic problem. The SIG warranty is the same as Rugers. No warranty, only a claim of customer satisfaction which doesn't make me feel real good.

As far as the M&P22 (made by Walther) is concerned, it's also so new and kinda rare that there doesn't seem much negative feedback on the web about it. I have one on the way. Of course, with the M&P22 you'll get the full 1 year S&W warranty followed by the full Free Lifetime Service Policy.

I will say this. I have a Walther made Colt 1911 22lr and it's top notch. In fact, I bought 2 and gave one to the grandson. We've put thousands of rounds through them with only a few bobbles. All shots have been Federal bulk pack 550 36 grain HP from Walmart. I had a about 10 FTE in the first 200 rounds and the grandson had a few failure to go completely into battery in the the first 100 rounds. Since then, they've been flawless.

It's rather ironic that the Walther made Colts and S&Ws seem to be so good while their own Walther branded P22 gets such negative feedback. Of course the Colts and S&Ws are brand news designs and the P22 design is many years old. On the other hand, maybe some of these same problems will occur on the Colts and S&Ws years down the road. Keep in mind S&Ws written commitment to customer service.

A point. The SR22 & P22 are in the 17oz weight range and the M&P22 & Mosquito are in the 24+oz weight range and are intended as trainers for their respective centerfire counterparts, although they are fine guns in their own right.

The Sig 1911-22, which I admit I done little research seems to be made by GSG. The company propaganda seems to couch the same specification "metal frame", meaning, I guess it's not made out of provalone cheese, or aluminum or steel. Or rather is the same as the Walther Made Colts or GSG or Chiappa or Puma and is some kinda zinc alloy. Some folks derogatorily refer to this as "pot" metal. While strictly speaking the term applies, I don't believe it's appropriate in this case because the specific zinc allow seems to be far better than your average window crank. Of course, they use the zinc alloy frame to increse weight to, sort of, approximate the 1911 weight as opposed to aluminum which wouldn't be even close. My understanding is that there is no cost savings using zinc alloy as opposed to aluminum alloy. Also, the weight still isn't here. My Walther Colt still weight less than a genuine Colt LW Commander. But, I enjoy shooting it a great deal.

BTW, any of these guns can be found (mostly on Gunbroker) for between $300-$350. Shop carefully. I see alot of retailer online and LGS charging near or full MSRP for these guns. Which naturally is $100+ more than careful shoping.

The Ruger MkIII. What can be said. Any model in the same price range as the above mentioned models will be blued with fixed sights. I don't like 'em cause they're too heavy, even the 22/45. The same can be said about the Browning Buck Marks. The MkIII and the Buck Marks are fine pistols and owners rave about 'em, but they're too costly & heavy for specific models that approximate the above mentioned tactical style models.

Last edited by Tyrod; 03-09-2012 at 02:13 AM.